Blueair 503 HepaSilent air purifier :
This portable air purifier from Blueair is primarily filter-based and has a filter indicator, and programmable timer, and 4 speeds. It’s designed for floor or tabletop use in a large room. and weighs 35 pounds.
- Keep track of filter changes with the included filter timer
- Rate (CADR) of 375 cfm with 5 air changes per hour for smoke, dust, and pollen
- Patented HEPASilent® technology traps 99.97% of harmful particles down to 0.1 microns in size Clean Air Delivery
- Designed specifically for rooms up to 580 square feet in size
- SurroundAirTM technology takes in air through an area six times larger than the average air purifier
Perfect for larger rooms, up to 580 square feet, the Blueair 503 air purifier uses superior HEPASilent technology to capture 99.97% of harmful particles such as dust, pollen, and bacteria, down to 0.1 microns in size. Uses both electrostatic and mechanical filtration to deliver clean air efficiently.
The Blueair 503 HepaSilent air purifier is independently tested and certified by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) for a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 375 cubic feet per minute for smoke, dust, and pollen, at five air changes an hour.
Utilizing SurroundAirTM technology, the 503 takes in air from three sides, releasing clean air from the top and sides, reducing draft and maximizing clean air delivery.
Easily change filters from the top of the unit and keep track of filter changes with the included magnetic filter timer. A trusted air purifier, the 503 was tested alongside 22 other air purifiers by The Consumer Rights Protection Commission of Shanghai and rated the best in performance for removal of fine particles (PM2.5) and formaldehyde. Intended for use with standard US outlet: 120VAC, 60Hz
Blueair is an international company based in Sweden and founded in 1996 as an air purification company. Its products are available nationally from Lowe’s and Bed Bath & Beyond.
- This model scored very good overall, which primarily considers how well models removed dust and smoke from a test chamber. One of best air purifier for smokers.
- Better than most at removing dust, smoke, and pollen at its lowest speed, which matters if you’ll run the unit in your bedroom at night.
- Especially effective at removing dust, smoke, and pollen at its highest speed, important for quickly cleaning the air in the room.
- Runs very quietly on its lowest speed.
- Has a filter indicator, which lets you know when it’s time to change/clean the main filter.
- Includes an ionizer but produces no significant ozone.
- Energy Star qualified, meaning it’s relatively energy-efficient compared with non-qualified models.
- Has a programmable timer.
- Relatively high annual costs, which includes routine filter replacement (if any) and annual operating costs.
- Relatively high filter costs.
- Relatively high operating costs.
Blueair 503 HepaSilent air purifier review
This Blueair 503 HepaSilent air purifier was among the best portable air purifiers we tested when run at its fairly noisy, highest speed, though you can pay less and get better dust and smoke removal at low speed. It filters using a three-stage pleated insert, though a similar SmokeStop version uses a carbon filter for greater removal smoke and other harmful pollutants.
A filter indicator reminds you when to change filters. While there’s an ionizer for electrically charging particulates, the unit produces no ozone. And because it’s EnergyStar-qualified, it’s energy-efficient compared with non-qualified models. Accounting for energy and filter costs, though, it was among the most expensive to buy and run.
Overall score for the Blueair 503 HepaSilent air purifier is mainly how well the model removed dust and smoke from a test chamber, plus quietness for room purifiers and airflow resistance for whole-house units.
Dust/pollen/smoke removal: How well models cleared air of fine clay dust and cigarette smoke; performance of portables is at their highest and lowest speeds. Ones that scored well for dust removal should perform comparably for pollen.
Noise: Based on instrument measurements with a portable model running at its highest and lowest speeds.
Blueair 503 HepaSilent air purifier review scores :
Impressive at removing dust, smoke, and pollen from a room's air when run at its highest speed, but less effective at low speed. This model runs very quietly on its lowest speed but was somewhat noisy (though average) on its highest speed. Somewhat easy to operate its controls, carry it, and clean or replace its filter(s)